If you are serious about hunting and the sport of shooting, you’ll need to dedicate time to sharpen and improve your shooting skills.
There are many reasons why people carry and use guns. Some are hunters, some use them for self-defense, and for others, it’s a hobby. Regardless of your “why” and whether you’re new to the sport or are experienced, there are always ways to improve your skills. By implementing the following tips, tricks, and suggestions, you’ll become a master shooter in no time!
Continue reading to learn how.
7 Ways to Improve Your Shooting Skills
- Safety First — Carrying and using a gun is a huge responsibility. Being safe and responsible is the most important shooting skill you can have. Always treat your firearm as though it were loaded, never point at someone or yourself, always wear necessary gear, and follow all other safety rules.
- Perfect Your Stance — The way you are standing while shooting your gun has a huge effect on your ability to shoot the target. There are many positions you can be in to shoot a gun, but if you’re a novice, you may want to start with the basics here: keep your feet about shoulder-width apart, and, for right-hand shooters, put your left foot slightly forward, and the right foot just a little bit back.
- Learn to Control Your Breathing — Did you know how you breathe while shooting could mess up your ability to hit the target accurately? Breathing while you pull the trigger could be causing your aim to be off.
- Bring Your Own Gear — Avid skiers have their own skis, and golfers have their own clubs. You can rent gear and eye protection at your local shooting range, but if you’re serious about the sport, consider investing in your own gear.
- Run Drills Over and Over — Athletes of all sports run repeatedly run drills, and practicing with your gun will be no different. Consistency and repeatability are essential elements of marksmanship. You may get lucky here and there with a bullseye shot, but you cannot rely on luck when using firearms. Become consistent, smooth, and accurate with your trigger press.
- Master Your Weapon — It is essential to get familiar with your gun; get to know it like you know your own two hands. Learn every part of it as if it were an extension of your own body. In some situations, fumbling over the controls could be the difference between life and death. Don’t let that happen to you! Become the master of your weapon.
- Enroll in Shooting School — One of the best ways to improve your shot is to enroll in a reputable shooting institute. You’ll be able to meet with a teacher who can teach you various ways to improve your skill and explain and demonstrate the science and art of shooting your gun.
Improve Your Shooting Skills with SUB M.O.A. Firearms In Henefer, Utah
If you want to improve your skills, then you’ll want to enroll in the Mountain West’s most prestigious long-range shooting school at SUB M.O.A. Firearms. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced shooter, we have individualized courses for you.
Our experienced and knowledgeable instructor, Justin Richins, can help you meet your goals of improved and accurate shots in various positions and under many different conditions. Contact our team today to learn more. We serve clients all throughout Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming.